Saturday, April 21, 2007

I Think, Therefore I Think I Am

If you smell smoke, don't be alarmed. It's only me ... thinking.

Have you ever tried to make your mind devoid of thought? It's hard to do. If there is one and only one reason to admire our President, George W. Bush, it would be because he has mastered the practice. The purpose of this post, however, is not to discuss our Con-founder-in-Chief, but rather to rattle the cage of a certain philosopher.

René Descartes is known for the quote: " I think, therefore I am." If you ask me, he wasn't much of a thinker. After all, how much credence can one give to a man with a woman's first name?

It's painfully obvious to me that his original quote was "I think I am." For some unknown reason, probably to impress someone, he added a big word and thought to himself, "This will make them bloggers in the future think."

I wonder how many words he tried to insert before he finally chose "therefore." He might have tried 'sexy,' but since the scholars of his time were all men, there was that first name getting in the way. If he tried 'manly,' there was the first name again. I'm sure he rejected "I think, f**king-A I am! " That's too bad, because today that would work.

René, sweetheart, you should have said, " I know, therefore I am." You would at least have come across as self-assured, confident. You think, therefore you are ? What kind of dumb-ass statement is that anyway? Don't you know whether you are or not? Your thoughts should have been centered on what you are: man or woman, philosopher or idiot? Consider this, you aren't anymore !

At least I'm honest. I think, therefore I think I am. I don't know one way or the other, Descartes. Descartes, (pronounced Day-Cart) what kind of name is that? It sounds like a wagon without headlights, for crying out loud!

I'm sure that everyone is wondering what is with this profound subject of 'thinking?' Well, it's like this, this post is about to turn into a meme, compliments of Marti ! Unlike most memes that ask you to reveal things about yourself that are nobody's business in the first place, this meme asks you to list five blogs you have read that 'make you think.' If this isn't enough incentive, you are rewarded with the "Thinking Blogger Award," which you can display on your site. Hey, it's one way to win a Blogging award!

Like other memes, this one does have rules also.

  1. Write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think.
  2. Link to this post by Marti so that people will know the exact origin of the meme. (In other words, who's responsible for this meme?)
  3. Optional: Copy and paste and display the "Thinking Blogger Award" with a link to the post you wrote.

The first one I have chosen is a recent post about the coverage of the tragedy at Virginia Tech. I think everyone will probably agree with Top Cat that NBC's release of the contents of that package probably wasn't the right thing to do.

While I do not advocate or wish any harm to pets, Steph from Australia has a post about the misfortune of a couple of pets that may find you laughing in spite of yourselves.

I find it difficult to cite other blogs without paying homage to Old Hoss . His post of 4/20/07, "Holy Goodness! Somebody Shrunk Us," was a post that made me think. Check it out and see if it doesn't give you in a different perspective on things.

Today I read a post about PMS. Touchy subject, I know. Although it was long, it was a fast read. Interwoven with humor, this post made me think. The next time the missus displays signs of that trying period, I will be a little more understanding and considerate. I'll bet it'll make a lot of male bloggers think. See how Miss Vickie spins a great post around this sensitive topic.


Lastly, I have chosen the newest member to my blogroll, Soul Searcher. (I "borrowed" the animation at the left from her site.) She has posted some lovely poetry that reflects the name she uses. Her site is not devoted solely to poetry, as she gives the reader some glimpses into her life.

This is not to say that the above sites above are the only sites that make me think. Indeed, all of those on my blogroll have written material that has given me pause to think. I went to several sites to bestow this award only to discover that others had been there before me with the same intent. It appears that this "Thinking Blogger Award" is making the rounds. Perhaps, everyone will eventually end up with one.

No.963

10 comments:

cathy said...

Whatever Descartes added after"I" was pure window dressing as he had already assumed his own existence.

Hale McKay said...

Nice, Cathy. You are so right. I didn't see that angle.

Anonymous said...

hale, I can't thank you enough for considering my post worthy enough to be nominated for a Thinking Blogger's award.
I appreciate it very much.
I normally don't participate in meme's or tags anymore.
This one has been making the rounds for awhile and most of the bloggers I would like to tag have been tagged, including you.:)
I hope you don't mind if I don't participate.
I hope this does not hurt your feelings, if it does please be honest with me and let me know.
Thank you again for nominating me.:)
tc

Steph said...

Aww thank you so much. It's not often I'm accused of thinking. :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on "thinking". Or at least thinking that you think. Well maybe someone thinks that you think. Me, well... I'll keep my opinion to myself. But you are a heck of a good guy and your blog is hilarious!

Hale McKay said...

Aw shucks, Peg. Flattery will get you everywhere!

Marti said...

Great choices from one of the finest thinkers around!

Hope you have a great day!

Vickie said...

Aww---thank you, I'm blushing as I bullshit you here. I got you to think---with that post full of PMSing.

Thank you and I consider it an honor, coming from you. I will complete this little jewel next week.

BTW, I owe you an apology, I read tru my Google reader and seldom comment. I should do better for you deserve more respect than I show you.

Again Thanks.

Soulsearcher said...

Wow, thank you so much, Mike! Such an honor coming from someone like you.

-R!

Soulsearcher said...

ps..ignore the exclamation mark at my initial..lol..slip of the finger.