Saturday, December 27, 2008

Liquid Tears

I've written and posted tributes to recently deceased celebrities on several occasions. It's not hard to do, for their lives were an open book.

However, before now, I've never attempted to pay such a tribute to a normal down-to-earth person, especially a fellow blogger. I'm finding it difficult to do.

Suzanne Horne, known to those of us who regularly read her blog, Liquid Illuzion, as Liquid, passed away on Christmas Eve. Liquid tears are flowing for her.

How can I pay tribute in prose to someone I know, but don't really know? Well, I believe that if you read someone's blog long enough you'll find that is an open window into their life. A little bit of a blogger is revealed through their words, and reflects who they are.

From her picture above, it is easy to see that on the outside she was a beautiful woman. It is from her writings that I was able to see she was as equally beautiful inside. If you are unfamiliar with her you can either take my word for it, or better still, click on the link above and see for yourself.

She was a wonderful photographer and examples of that skill can be seen in many of her posts. She was also adept at writing poetry, which is also abundantly represented in her posts.

I am finding myself troubled by that word "was." The word is so ... final. Yet, she was admired and had many blog friends, and this is evident by the 95 Followers, of which I am one, on her sidebar. The word was diminishes when I realize that there are many who will remember her, and you can count me among that number as well.

She used to leave comments on my weekend posts. They usually said something like:
"Thanks for the laughs. I needed that."

"I come here on the weekends when I need to smile. You've never let me down. Thanks so much."

"Your humor makes my mornings easier to handle."

At the top of my sidebar to the right you will see a photograph of an ice cube with a bow. As the caption says, it is a gift to us:

Here's a little
"Liquid"
gift for you each!
Think of me when you add a little more ice to your holiday drinks,
'Cause I'm right there with ya!

Suzanne, perhaps it was prophetic when you wrote that. I shall use those words as a fitting epitaph to you. Salute!

I hope that, if even a small way, this tribute is fitting.

1565

19 comments:

74WIXYgrad said...

Suzanne was a friend to us all.

Skunkfeathers said...

I knew nothing of her, and have never visited her site; but what I read in your tribute, I'd say you did a fine job, one I'm sure Suzanne would have approved of.

Well done.

Jack K. said...

It is interesting, amazing and inspiring that we can develop such close relationships with folks we may never meet in person.

Suzanne has touched you in such a way. To that, and all else she has accomplished I can only say, "Mission accomplished. Well done. You are missed."

Thanks for letting us know, Hale.

Nankin said...

What a "Liquid" tribute to a friend. Good job.

Sandee said...

I didn't know her, but you have done an excellent tribute to her. She was very, very young. :(

kenju said...

I never read her blog, but you have made me want to remedy that. I hope you'll write a nice tribute to me like this when I am gone.

Genevieve said...

she was such a beautiful soul, her presence will be sorely missed.

Fred said...

Nice tribute. I never read her blog, but it seems as though I was missing something.

Hale McKay said...

Wixy,

I knew from her "Follow List" that she had a lot of readers. From the tributes I've seen at other blogs including yours, I never realized just how deeply she had touched so many people.

Hale McKay said...

Skunk,

Thanks. I'm hoping that this tribute will send a few over to her site to experience her and her works.

Hale McKay said...

Jack,

I have noticed the phenomenon of the closeness, the bond that Bloggers can develop with other Bloggers.

It is sad that we will never meet in person many or all of these people hidden behind their own terminals and keyboards.

Hale McKay said...

Nankin,

Thanks. I've read several other tributes to her. She was a friend to so many.

Hale McKay said...

Sandee,

Yes, she was young - too young for such a singular talent to be taken away from us.

Hale McKay said...

Judy,

I hope you do drop in at her site. I think you will like what you find.

Hush that stuff about being gone. If we are going there - who knows, I might precede you.

Of course, I would write a
nice tribute for you too.

Hale McKay said...

Genevieve,

I visited your site once because of posting at Suzanne's site - a post that suggested that we visit there.

I revisited it today after reading your comment here. You wrote a very nice piece for her.

Yes, she will be sorely missed.

Hale McKay said...

Fred,

Yes, you were missing her photos and her poetry. I hope you drop by as a tribute anyway.

Amias (ljm and liquidplastic) said...

A very touching tribute.

rdl said...

Very fitting!! nicely done. we will all miss her immensely.

Mojo said...

I'd say you summed it up perfectly. I think everyone she came across in "Blogaritaville" came away from the experience a richer person.

The world is a poorer place without her in it, because it means there will be no more new instances of her talent, her wit or her friendship.

But seeing the tributes to her scattered like stars across the Blogiverse I realize that she is not gone. She's simply gone ahead to stake out the next level so that when the rest of us catch up she'll be able to greet us properly.