Saturday, February 12, 2005

Moon Over Mon Ami

~ The date is Feb. 12, 2505, when an archeologist discovers a cache of ancient documents, some of which were dated five hundred years in the past. It was undeniable proof that indeed some ancient civilization had flourished in this region once known as Tennessee.
~ Presently, as the digs continued, a team of scientists were slowly uncovering the legacy of a long lost culture. It was the work of a single chemist who had explored a controversial idea that a list of chemicals was in fact a recipe. The man, Blue Dilly Dilly IX, had traced his roots back nine generations to a man whose image and life had been immortalized by a classic children's book he had written. It had taken some time, but he had finally gathered the substances from the document. These ingredients, he had surmised, were in fact the ingredients of some exotic delicacy five centuries old. Thusly, he began mixing:
-
Enriched flour (wheat flour, Niacin, reduced iron, thiamine momonitrate, Riboflavin, folic acid), corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, partially-hydrogenated vegetable oils (palm kernel, coconut & palm), defatted soy flour, soy bean oil, gelatin, baking soda, cocoa processed with alkali, soy lecitithin, cocoa, sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium sulfite, natural & artificial flavors.
-
~ The finished product was a result of blending and finally baking those ingredients. What he had created was out of this world! Never had he tasted anything close to it. Inspired by the moonlit sky, he christened it Moon Pie.
-
~ Timeline: Feb. 12, 2005. I have fond memories of the Moon Pie dating back to my early childhood. The double decker treat was a southern favorite. We used to get a Moon Pie in a pocket attached to the neck of a bottle of RC,
Royal Crown Cola, another southern favorite.
~ When I moved to New England after my hitch in the Navy, I found this treat impossible to find. For awhile I did receive a few in the mail courtesy of my mother. Over the years, I learned to survive without my Moon Pies. Lately, these wonderful treats have been showing up in the local stores. Once again, I have resumed my love affair with them.
~ Reading the package earlier today, I found the name of the manufacturer and its web site. The site had a wealth of information. I learned that the company, Chattanooga Bakery, Inc., a Tennessee landmark, had been founded in 1917. I was moved by the items of nostalgia, as well as newer products. If you have never tried a Moon Pie, then this site (www.moonpie.com) is one you should visit. The treat is available in the three original flavors chocolate, my favorite, vanilla, and banana. The list has grown to include orange, lemon, and strawberry. There is even a rasp-berry filled one.
~ If you don't have a sweet tooth, or have tried them but didn't like them (which I find hard to believe), all is good! That leaves more for me, mon ami!
~
-No. 29
-
For a taste of the writings of the future legend, BlueDillyDilly, go to:
http://bluedillydilly.blogspot.com

No comments: