Sunday, April 02, 2006

Jobberwacky

Have you ever felt like a weenie at the buffet of life?
A little malapropism never hurts when you want to attract some attention. Let them think this is going to be another profound interpretation of Lewis Carrol. Thus, why not use it in the title? I know things can get wacky on my job. Things must get wacky on everyone's jobs.
The Dr. Seuss spoof above rings true. When I am having a bad day on the job, I find that the '60s hit by the Vogues sums it up rather well, and it's title fits my mood:
Five O'Clock World -....Up every mornin' just to keep a job,....I gotta fight my way through the husslin' mob.....Sounds of the city poundin' in my brain,....While another day goes down the drain.
But it's a five o'clock world when the whistle blows. No one owns a piece of my time. And there's a five o'clock me inside my clothes, Thinkin' that the world looks fine, yeah. Holiday yeah ...
I like my job. I hate my job. I like to have my cake and eat it too. The part of my job that I like falls between 5:01 pm and 7:59 am. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that loathed part of the day exists between 8 am and 5 pm. So you see, I can have it both ways!
....The beauty of my job is that it allows me to fully appreciate those times that I'm not working. There is no however or converse for the rest of the day, that time allows me to revel in the time off too.
....Tradin' my time for the pay I get, ....Livin' on money that I ain't made yet .... Gotta keep goin' gotta make my way .... While I live for the end of the day.
'Cause it's a five o'clock world when the whistle blows. No one owns a piece of my time. And there's a long-haired girl who waits, I know; To ease my troubled mind, yeah. Holiday yeah.
Truth be told, I don't really hate my job, at least not all of it. Helping the elderly is rewarding in and of itself. I do get a good feeling doing something for them that they cannot do for themselves. The things that we take for granted in our youth, can be insurmountable to our senior citizens. I am keenly aware that someday, maybe sooner than I care to admit, I will be walking a mile in their shoes. I can only hope that someone will like their job just enough to feel good about helping others.
....In the shelter of her arms everything's okay ....She talks and the world goes slippin' away ....And I know the reason I can still go on ....When every other reason is gone.
In my five o'clock world she waits for me, Nothin' else matters at all. 'Cause everytime my baby smiles at me, I know it's all worthwhile, yeah. Holiday, yeah. ...Holiday, yeah. ...Holiday yeah.
No.584

6 comments:

Peter said...

Hi Mike, I hope you find someone who likes their job enough to help you when the time comes that you need help.

Peter said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
StringMan said...

I like that Suess spoof. Going to have to display that one at my desk. Five O'Clock world is a good song. Taking Care of Business is a good 'job' song. "If you ever get annoyed you can be un-self-employed, enough to work at nothing all day." Yeah. My kind of job.

the many Bs said...

That was a nice post. I especially liked your comments about the elderly. I think about that often - what it will be like for me when I am old. It's not that far away. I'm all alone in my life - no children, no one to take care of me. I will have to be healthy and independent.

Other than that, I really DO like my job. Really.

Zambo said...

Hello There.

That was a great post! I really don't hate my job...that much. It could always be worse. But I find that it's keeping me from the things that I really should be doing with my life. If I came into money by whatever means, I'm fairly certain I'd be singing, "Take This job and Shove it!" as I strut out the door.

Anyway, thanks for sharing that!

Take care out there!

Your Pal,

Zambo.

LZ Blogger said...

I love the comment at the top of the blog post. And... yes I have! But usually I feel more like a GLUTTON at the buffet of life! ~ jb///