Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Did You Hug a Veteran Today?

Awesome Myspace Layouts | Hi5 Layouts | Friendster Layouts | TotallyPimpedOut.net

Unfurled, the flag on my antenna was flapping in the breeze as I drove toward my first stop of the day. With the exception of the Post Office, the schools and municipal buildings I passed along the way, I was disappointed to see the Stars and Stripes conspicuously absent elsewhere.

Most of the cities and towns in the area had already done their part to honor our veterans by holding parades on the previous Sunday, such is the fate of the "lesser" holidays that fall on a week day. At least Veterans Day does get some measure of recognition.

Except for veterans organizations, however, the significance of Veterans Day has been all but lost and forgotten. Do many even remember that the day was once called Armistice Day?
armistice - n. a temporary stopping of warfare by mutual agreement, as a truce preliminary to the signing of a peace treaty
The significance of Veterans Day (Armistice Day), as well as the date (November 11) on which it is celebrated, can be traced back to:
... the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918 when Germany signed the Armistice which ended the hostilities of World War I [sic] "the war to end all wars."
When American servicemen and women began returning home when World War II ended, it wasn't long before there was a movement for Armistice Day to honor "all" veterans, not just those who served in the first world war.

Congress passed a bill to that effect, and on May 26,1954, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed into law an act that decreed Armistice Day as a day to honor all veterans. Congress amended the act on November 11 of the same year to effectively rename the holiday Veterans Day.
Did you know that while grammatically correct, it is considered in bad taste to use an apostrophe in the name of this holiday? The official government stance is that it should appear as it was written into law and it should never appear as "Veteran's Day" or "Veterans' Day."
Alas, there are some other patriotic observances that have been summarily ignored also. To many they are just another day on the calendar. I wonder how many, without Googling, can provide the calendar dates (and for extra credit the year of the event) of all of the following:
(a) VE Day (Victory in Europe)
(b) D-Day
(c) Flag Day
(d) VJ Day (Victory in Japan)
(e) Pearl Harbor Day
Don't feel bad or unpatriotic if you could not answer all of them. As for myself, I had to look up Flag Day, but I did know the rest.
(a) May 8, 1945
(b) June 6, 1944
(c) June 14, 1777
(d) August 14, 1945
(e) December 7, 1941
When I parked on the parking lot of my first stop for the day I could see a couple of blocks away the flag high above the City Hall Building. I removed my cap, placed my right hand over my heart and said,

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

I didn't hug a veteran today but I felt good - because I wasn't afraid to recite the Pledge of Allegiance even though it contains that "terrible" word GOD and I knew all the words.

1522

8 comments:

Jack K. said...

Thanks.

It rained here so the flag remained indoors.

I did have an interesting day though and am about to write about it at my blog.

btw, one of my Realtor® friends began a remembrance of flag day about 15 years ago. She prepared a paper describing the flag, its origin and meaning. She and her sons would plant the flags and descriptions at the curb of every home in our sub-division. We have quite a collection of flags.

Recently Congress passes a law that allows retired military personnel to salute the flag and the National Anthem. I'm proud to render such salutes. And I salute you for your patriotism.

Jack K. said...

I finally posted about my day.

Skunkfeathers said...

I was 4 for 5 (forgot the date of Flag Day).

I don't miss Memorial or Veteran's (Armistice) Day, or the whyfer of them.

I posted. I remember.

Christina said...

Veyr interesting. I didn't know any of the dates.

Hale McKay said...

Jack,

I'm not retired from the military, but I do fell the urge to salute the flag even though I've been out of the service for 37 years (active) 39 (counting 2 years of inactive reserve.)

Hale McKay said...

Jack,

I just finished reading your post and commented on it.

The 77th is just another example of stories of units in the war that are virtually unknown and untold.

Hale McKay said...

Skunk,

If only there were more of us who remember and are proud to state it.

It seems that our country's schools skip over wars and heroes in the history classes these days.

Hale McKay said...

Christina,

There's no need to feel bad or ashamed if you didn't know the dates. You aren't alone.

Those days get only a mention nowadays. And if people don't get them of as paid holidays, why should they care?

It's sad.