Monday, October 25, 2010

Butterfly Dreams (35)

(A sequel to The Strange Story of Mr. Black and Ms Gray.)

They had died when helping thwart a plan to undermine the government of the United States. Now Ben and Susan have returned from the dead and they must bring that government down. Standing in their way are Michael Black and Michelle Gray, the bodies of whom they now occupy.
-(The Story begins HERE)-
Who Shot Ben Bering?

I was stunned by what the Colonel was implying and was unable to speak for several minutes. I had experienced the gunshot wound and remembered the searing pain before everything went dark. Was what he said true? Had I really been shot by my friend Brock O'Day? I had assumed that one of the Secret Servicemen had fired the shot.

Then there was the matter of General Gates' plans. I knew that I had activated the device. The device was supposedly designed to negate the General's mind control transmission targeting the President. If I was to believe Wingate however, the device was intended to boost the signal.

I cleared my throat and asked the question burning in my head. "What about the injection, Colonel? I hope you're planning to tell me what your Butterfly Nectar traced when it was injected into me and Michelle."

I froze and my eyes widened when he produced a large military knife. The cold steel blade hovered for a moment near my abdomen. I followed its path as it moved to the strap which secured my left wrist. Holding my breath, I watched as the implement sliced through the restraint. He then sheathed the knife and backed away.

"Mr. Black, I don't like you and I don't know if I can trust you, but I'm not your enemy. There are those out there who have set in motion events that threaten our country's security. For some reason they have chosen to keep both you and your wife alive. I see no reason to act otherwise."

"That's reassuring, Colonel," I snapped. With my free hand I began to undo the restraint on my other hand. Before leaning forward to free my feet I gazed up at him and asked, "So, how can you be so sure they want to keep us alive?"

His stoic countenance revealed no emotion. "You wanted to know what the Butterfly Nectar found?" He watched as my face paled before speaking, "Yes, both you and your wife have the implants."

Freed of the remaining restraints I stood and faced him. "You had to strap me to that chair to tell me that there are bombs implanted at the bases of our skulls?"

He shook his head, "I wasn't responsible for the gas or your capture." He pointed to the closed door behind him, "In that room you'll find one who was. If you have a weak stomach, I'd advise that you not to look in there." He ran a finger across his throat while patting the knife at his side and snorted, "It's not a pretty sight."

It was all I could do to utter but one inquiring word, "Who...?"

"Let's just say that his untimely death will not be making the evening news."

"I see. He was one of them, just a nameless agent working for a nameless government organization. I don't suppose you could tell who they are and who they answer to ...?"

"No," he said cutting my query short. "I have my own thoughts on that matter, but I've already told you more than I should have."

I raised my hand to the back of my neck and pleaded, "How can we ... can we deactivate these implants?"

He looked away, "I suppose those who inserted the devices have that capability. I did witness an attempt to remove one of them." His eyes met mine and he added, "Trust me, you don't want to tamper with them."

"If it's all the same, Colonel, I would rather not have known about those things being in our heads."

He crossed the small room and opened a door to my left, "Use that knowledge to be cautious, Mr. Black, lest they decide you will have become expendable. I must go now. As you, I must prepare for a long flight."

"Wait," I called to him. "The girl ...?"

"She is safe. You'll be reunited with her shortly," he answered as he disappeared through the portal.

I raced after him only to enter into a dark hallway. About ten feet from where I stood I could see only the red glowing letters of an exit sign. Beneath it I pushed on a door which opened onto the campus grounds.

"Michael, over here," Brock O'Day shouted. "I've been looking all the place for you."

He approached me and to my surprise Susan was at his side. Dumbfounded I demanded, "Where did Wingate go?"

"Wingate?" he reacted. "You saw Wingate? He was here?"

I didn't reply but glared at the girl with him. "Why did you run off? Why did you come here?"

She was trembling and whimpered, "I ... I don't know. I just knew he wanted me to be here."

"Look," O'Day interjected, "let's sort all of this out later. You're going to have to haul ass to Logan if you want to catch that flight."

Without warning there was the rumble of a roaring engine and the screeching of tires barreling down upon us. The vehicle braked and skidded to a stop on the quad grass not five feet from where we stood.

"Quick! Hop in," shouted a familiar voice. Jeremy Baxter grinned from the open window, "It looks like you folks need a ride."

Pushing Susan ahead of me I scrambled into the back seat of the SUV even as Sergeant O'Day crawled into the front seat. I watched in silence as the two men shook hands.

Noticing the confused look on my face O'Day announced, "After I placed the two FBI men in their car, I called Baxter."

We were pitched backward in our seats as Baxter slammed the accelerator the the floorboard. The spinning tires hurled divots of grass in their wake. "The groundskeepers are going to be pissed when they see what I did to their nice pretty lawn," Baxter laughed as we sped across the campus and out onto the street.

O'Day turned in the seat to address me. I was unnerved by the deadpan look in his eyes. "Michael, I know you have a lot of questions. It's time you got some answers."

"Brock, are you about to tell you're a part of it all?" I glanced at the back of Baxter's head, "...And Jeremy I've suspected all along that you knew more than you've been letting on ..."

"Patience, Michael. We have a long flight ahead of us and lot to discuss," Brock said. He fumbled for something in his pocket and added, "But first there is something I have to take care of ..."

Before I could move, his arm sprung toward Susan. She yelped in pain as he pressed some object in his hand against her neck. Her body twitched in spasms and then she slumped in the seat and did not move.

"Jesus Christ!" I roared. "You tased her! Why?"

"Sorry, but we can't risk the chance of anyone eavesdropping," Brock shrugged and tapped his finger against the side of his head. "She'll be out for about an hour or so. She'll be okay."

"Michael," said Jeremy, "it's time for some revelations."

( To be Continued ...

Revelations )

2053

2 comments:

Sandee said...

I can't wait for the revelations. It's time. Just saying.

Have a terrific day. :)

Hale McKay said...

Sandee,

Perhaps some of your previous speculations will turn out to be correct ...

... Or perhaps the revelations will be shocking ...