Saturday, October 15, 2005

Who'll Stop The Rain?

.
I found this great game to keep your kids occupied on those dreary rainy days.

When I woke up this Saturday morning, I didn't need to look out the window to know it was still raining. Not only could I hear it splattering against the windows and air conditioners that should have been removed already. My knees and right shoulder were not remiss in keeping me informed of the current weather conditions.

Chancing to raise the shade anyway to take in the scene outside, I was relieved to find that the street wasn't flooded. That meant there would be little chance that I'd be seeing animals passing in pairs. So far there were no Canadian geese gathering in the water that had collected in pools in the surrounding yards. It also meant that I didn't have to be concerned about flooding in the basement.

It was a little worrisome when I looked out upon my next door neighbor's back yard. He had been pounding on something over the last several days despite the rain. Whatever it was he was building, was starting to take form above the barrier that was an eight-foot stockade fence separating our properties. If I hadn't known any better, I would have sworn that it was the keel and frame of a rather large boat. I was about to dismiss that foolish thought altogether until I saw him standing out in the rain. He was looking up at the sky and appeared to be talking to ... Nah! (It turned out to be the frame of a jungle gym he was building for his kids.)

There has been nine consecutive days of rain in our region. We were fortunate on Sunday that there was a window of clear sky for our daughter's Wedding. North of us in New Hampshire, there has been considerable flooding. The small town of Alstead was for all purposes washed off the map. Central to western Massachusetts has also been inundated. Indeed, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Long Island, N.Y., and areas of New Jersey are also experiencing heavy rains and flooding. Our Governor, Mitt Romney has declared a state of emergency as nearly twenty-one inches of rain has fallen across Massachusetts. Overnight we had received another three and a half inches, and it isn't supposed to let up until the early evening. Although I find myself less than convinced, it has been predicted that it will clear up overnight. Sunday we might actually see some sun and blue skies.

I don't mean to ramble on about all this rain, God knows there are other parts of the country dealing with bad weather conditions of their own. Our problems only pale in light of the carnage dealt by Katrina to the peoples of Louisiana and Mississippi.

With some time, plenty of time on my hands, I decided to do some blog surfing. Starting with one of the links on my blog roll, I decided to do something different. Instead of reading all of my favorite blogs, I opted to visit one of those who made a comment on the site that I visited. I clicked on the ones that I didn't recognize. I repeated this several times, visiting a site and clicking on a visitor who gave a comment and so on.

I don't have to pontificate to any of you that are many talented writers out there strutting their stuff on their blogs. I feel that I hit the Mother Lode on this excursion. In fact my blog roll is going to grow by eight! I'll close out this posting with just one of them, saving the other seven for the next posting.

Over at Suzie's you can read her posts while listening to Creedence Clearwater Revival music. Not bad music to listen to at all. One of her posts has a link to a story about a woman who just gave birth to her 16th child, all of whom have names starting with "J."

Her music provided a perfect segue to close out this post. Why not? The song playing bears the same title as this blog.

No.381

No comments: