According to Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the answer to the question, "What is the meaning of life, the universe and everything?" is 42.
I wonder if he would have chosen another number if he'd realized that "42" is the answer to some other interesting questions?
- The world-record jump by a kangaroo is 42 feet.
- The right arm of the Statue of Liberty is 42 feet long.
- Elvis Presley died at the age of 42.
- Fox Mulder (The X-Files) lives in Apartment number 42.
- There are 42 Oreo Cookies in a 1-pound package.
- There are 42 decks on the Enterprise NCC1701-D (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
- Bill Clinton was the 42nd U.S. President.
- A Wonderbra consists of 42 individual parts.
- The angle at which light reflects of water to create a rainbow is 42 degrees.
- In Romeo and Juliet, Juliet sleeps for 42 hours.
- The Torah (the holy book of Judaism) is broken into columns, each of which always has exactly 42 lines.
- There were 42 generations from Abraham to Jesus Christ.
- The total number of dots on a pair of dice: 42.
- Both Jimi Hendrix and Jerry Garcia were born in 1942.
"I Never Said What I Said," is the title of a book by Yogi Berra. Following is a few more "Never" qiotes:
"Never accept a drink from a urologist." - Erma Bombeck
"Never eat Chinese food in Oklahoma." - Bryan Miller
"Never hunt rabbit with dead dog." - Charlie Chan
"Never keep up with the Jonses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper." - Quentin Crisp
"Never trust a man who has only one way to spell a word." - Dan Quayle, quoting Mark Twain
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow." - Mark Twain
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can get someone else to do today." - Douglas Ottati
"Never put off until tomorrow what can be avoided altogether." - Ann Landers
"Never hit a man with glasses. Hit him with something much bigger and heavier." - Anonymous
The above lists are from the book: Uncle John's Great Big Bathroom Reader.