Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Time Doldrums

I've lost sleep at times over the years, but it is usually as a result of self indulgences. It could be because of some late night movie or reruns of the X-Files. Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the late nights on the Internet. I don't have any trouble recovering from losses of sleep for those examples. I chose to do so.

Every Spring, there is the annual "spring ahead" event when our clocks are turned ahead 1 hour for the time change from EST (Eastern Standard Time) to EDT (Eastern Daylight Time - or Daylight Savings Time.

Ever year this occurs and every year I get, for a lack of a better word, the doldrums from the time change. It takes a week, sometimes two weeks for my body and mind to adjust. (The "fall back" change has no such affect on me.) I

It's probably just a psychological reaction to the fact that an hour was purloined from my normal routines. It's like traveling across the country and passing into different time zones.

I could ask Mr.Peabody and his boy Sherman to fire up the Wayback Machine and take me back one hour ... then I could eat that sausage and pepperoni pizza again! Of course, one hour later it would be repeating on me again.

Of course, I could go to bed an hour early on the night of the switch! That would make too much sense, wouldn't it?

Besides movies, TV shows and the Internet, I also lose sleep for a lot of other reasons. Those reasons are more profound than resetting clocks.

I've lost sleep over the loss of sleep - lying awake and wondering why I couldn't get to sleep and staying awake until I'd found the answer.

Was my fly unzipped all day?

Are they coming to arrest me because they found out that I tore the labels off my mattress and pillows?

I've tossed and turned over this one. Was it really good for her too?

Does the light in the refrigerator stay on when the door is shut?

I've lain awake wondering that if all the Reese's Pieces were put back together, what would the assembled Reese look like? (Yikes! Not Mason Reese!)

I wondered why I cared 'Who Shot J.R.' when I never watched that damned program!

Are Dolly Parton's really real?

When I was a kid brushing my teeth with Pepsodent - I wondered where the yellow went. I still do.

Have you stayed up all night thinking about this one? If today is the first day of the rest of your life, what's that make tomorrow?

Here's a sleep killer: What does Jessica Rabbit see in Roger?

Why do they call them M&Ms when in the bag there are also some W's, E's and 3's?

Tonight, Ill be staring at the ceiling and wonder why I posted this.

1634

8 comments:

kenju said...

Because it was funny. And Roger is soft and cuddly. And Dolly's are not real, at least not all of them.

Skunkfeathers said...

I have many sleepless nights, but I must admit that I'm not as philosophical as you, in what I wonder as I lay there and hate unwanted awakedness. Last time this happened, I finally managed to grab some zzzs by counting progressives jumping a fence...and into a chasm ;)

Sandee said...

The same thing happens to me very spring too. I'm so tired and for the life of me I can't figure out why. Don't mess with my hours.

Have a terrific day. :)

Jack K. said...

I seldom lose sleep.

I would prefer if daylight savings were retired.

Wait long enough and the yellow may return.

It is wonderful of you to care enough to be concerned if it was great for her too.

Of course, it is nice to be able to take a nap during the day.

Sleep well friend.

Hale McKay said...

Judy,

I remember Dolly Parton was on the tonight show and Johnny Carson said,

"I'd give a year's pay to to get a peek under there."

Hale McKay said...

Skunk,

LOL @ progressives jumping a fence ...and into a chasm.

Hale McKay said...

Sandee,

I guess I'm not the only one who has a hard time coping and adjusting to the time change in Spring./

Hale McKay said...

Jack,

Hopefully by this weekend, I'll adjust and get a good night's sleep. This weekend or a few days after, I'll be adjusted.