I recently found this quiz in a dictionary on the shelf by the computer. I had at one time torn it from a magazine for future reference I suppose. I have no idea from what magazine or when it was published. There is no reference to an author or a study group. So, somewhere and somewhen, I took this article and stuck it in that book. From marks I had written upon it, it is painfully clear that I didn't fare so well, scoring only 3 out of 10. Then again, I have never claimed to be a dietician.
----------------------------------------WHAT'S YOUR CALORIE I.Q.?---
- Which usually has more calories: frozen chicken pot pie (1 serving) or pork tenderloin (3.5 oz.)?
- Chicken with cashews (1 cup) or sweet-and-sour pork with rice (1cup)?
- Fast-food taco salad with shell or Quarter-pound burger?
- A 6-inch roast beef submarine sandwich or a 6-inch tuna sub?
- Grated Parmesan cheese (1 table spoon) or roasted pumpkin seeds (1 oz.)?
- Grape Nuts cereal (1/2 cup) or Cheerios (1/2 cup)?
- Hot-and-sour soup (1 cup) or cheese-and-broccoli soup (1 cup)?
- Champagne (4 oz.) or margarita (4 oz.) ?
- Soft-serve ice-cream cone (1/2 cup ice cream) or yogurt covered raisins (1/2 cup)?
- Caesar salad (2 cups) or mixed-green salad with vinaigrette (2 cups)?
* The answers follow with the highest calorie content and count listed first for each question.
- Pot pie 567, Pork tenderloin 171
- Chicken 409, Pork 270
- Taco salad 850, Burger 420
- Tuna 527, Roast beef 288
- Seeds 126, Cheese 23
- Grape Nuts 208, Cheerios 55
- Cheese and broccoli 330, Hot and sour 134
- Margarita 240, Champagne 92
- Raisins 313, Ice cream cone 145
- Caesar salad 550, Mixed greens 175
* Well I hope you fared better than me. I should start learning these kinds of things of though. I am not getting any younger. I still like to eat though, and quite frankly well over of half of those 20 items above I don't even like. Yeah, you guessed it, the half I like are on the high end of the calorie count! Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow you diet! Please note that I said you and not I !