Monday, February 06, 2006

The Sound Track of Your Life


If I had a juke box filled with songs hand picked by myself, it would be a tribute to the Sixties. The play list would be veritable who's who of one-hit wonders.
....If you were to ask me the name of my favorite group, I would not be able to answer. It you asked me to name my favorite song, again I could not. I cannot even pick a favorite genre of music. Bob Seger says it the best:

Just take those old records off the shelf,
I'll sit and listen to 'em by myself
Today's music ain't got the same soul
I like that old time rock n' roll.

This afternoon I watched The Last Waltz, the farewell concert of The Band. ("Up on Cripple Creek" would be in that juke box.) I began to wax nostalgic and pulled out a DVD of the last concert performed by The Guess Who. (Nearly all of their hits would be in my juke box.) The dates of those songs in my juke box would contain very few songs recorded after the Seventies. I was saddened though when I thought that there aren't any groups like these anymore. That was before I clicked onto one my Blog Roll links.

Call me a relic, call me what you will
Say I'm old-fashioned, say I'm over the hill
Today's music ain't got the same soul
I like that old time rock n' roll.

It's not my old favorite bands that I want to laud here today, no, not the old ones. I want to pay tribute to a current band. This group plays a lot of the music that would be found in that juke box of mine. This group's juke box is sure to please the palate of just about everyone.
....Some of you are already familiar with Stringman, a funny man with a funny blog. His recent posting, Star Trek XXX: Brokeback Planet, is a classic parody. I strongly advise that while at his site, you go his side bar and click on "Stringman & Friends," or click this link. You will find quite an impressive list of 150+ songs that they play. There are songs on there from the 50s to the present! Like I said above, something to please just about every palate.
....If you have Real Player, you can listen to a selection of seven different full songs from their repertoire: Aimee, Wild Night, Margaritaville, Slide, You May be Right, Friends In Low Places, and Hide Your Love Away. This music critic gives them two thumbs up! I especially liked their rendition of Hide Your Love Away.

I have taken the liberty, and without his permission hoping he won't mind, to post Stringman's pic from his site. Hey, when I promote something I pull no strings. Sorry about the pun. I left comments myself that if I hear of someone in the Boston area looking for a band to hire, I will send them his way.

No, I am not his agent.

Still like old time rock n' roll
That kind of music just soothes the soul
I reminisce about the days of old
With that old time rock n' roll.

Rock on, Stringman and Friends.

No.527

5 comments:

Peter said...

Hi Mike, I haven't heard him play but stringman sure writes up a storm on his blog.

Marti said...

I loved his Star Trek XXX: Brokeback Planet!

OldHorsetailSnake said...

To be able to hear it, I had to download RealPlayer. So you owe me. (Well, maybe not. It is GOOD music.)

B said...

You have a very interesting website....and I mean that in a good way.

The pictures are intriguing, to say the least. I can't wait to scroll through all of this when I should be paying attention in class.

Shannon akaMonty said...

I had Up On Cripple Creek in my head ALL FREAKING DAY yesterday. ;)

Did you psychically send it to me?