Saturday, June 26, 2010

Esoterica: The Art of Lost Thoughts

Thoughts, like fleas, jump from man to man, but they don't bite everybody. - Stanislaw J. Lec

Thinking is only the process of talking to yourself. - Anonymous

A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - Anonymous

A person may dwell so long upon a thought that it may take him a prisoner. - Edward F. Halifax

Thinking things has been done through the ages; knowing things remains to be done. - Anonymous

Think all you speak, but speak not what you think. - Anonymous

My thoughts are my company; I can bring them together, select them, detain them, dismiss them. - Walter Savage Landor

I think, therefore I am. - Rene Descartes
Here I sit, unencumbered by inspiration, staring at a monitor, its screen as devoid of characters as my mind is of creative thought.

Except for the large glasses, the bow tie, the suspenders and the long-sleeved shirt, the man in the graphic (above right) may as well be me.

So I thought if I was going to sit and think, why not look up some quotes about thinking and thought? Of course, the last quote above is one of the most well known about thinking.


Rene, if I'm not thinking, does that mean I am not?

What if I was to imagine I'm part of a video game? You know, one that requires one to think and to act. Can I pick off those Space Invaders™ before they overrun the outpost?

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. - Paul Fix
As stated above, I decided to look up some quotes about thinking and thought. My thinking was that maybe an interesting quote or two might clear the cobwebs inside my cranium.

Then I was curious what quotes about blogging I might be able to find. I found a few interesting ones:
Blogging is totally weird. - Nat

Your blog is your unedited version of yourself. - Lorelle

Blogging is best learned by blogging ... and by reading other bloggers. - George Siemens

Your blog is what you say when there is nobody standing over your shoulder telling you what to do. - Lorelle
I came across the following quote and like it because it begins with the words that are the name of my blog site:
...it occurred to me that there is no such thing as blogging. Blogging is just writing - writing using a particularly efficient type of publishing technology. - Simon Dumenco
Then I found a quote which just might explain my current writer's block and seeming loss of creativity:
I guess my point is, if you’re one of these people considering giving up on blogging in exchange for paying more attention to Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and MySpace, or whatever they throw at us mere mortals, bear in mind you are giving up on something rather unique and wonderful. - Hugh Macleod
Well, I'm not considering giving up blogging by any means, but the quote does strike a nerve. While I do enjoy the connection with my old high school classmates and some bloggers, I realize that I have been spending more and more time on Facebook and less time on my blog.

I need to recognize my priorities. I love blogging. After 5 years and 5 months of blogging and approaching my 2000th posting, I'm not ready for my blogging to take a back seat to a social site. I will start to work on my blog first and then visit other sites afterward and not the other way around.

Hmmm ... I guess I was inspired by those quotes after all!


1997

1 comment:

Hale McKay said...

Jack and Sandee,

The closing lines of this post are directed at the two of you as well as for my own edification.

My distraction with FB has effected my full devotion to the story "Butterfly Dreams."

I have to go back and read what has been written from the beginning to insure that I haven't left out any important elements that should have been included to this point.